The student newspaper of the Ramaz Upper School

The Rampage

Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice (Dual Perspectives)

Netanel’s perspective:

The movie opens two years after Superman’s (Henry Cavill) colossal battle with Zod (Michael Shannon). The loss of life and collateral damage left many feeling angry and helpless, including crime-fighting billionaire Bruce Wayne (Ben Affleck). The film begins showing what the scene looked like as many people were killed and hurt during the battle. Many people now believe that Superman doesn’t listen to the will of the people, but rather his own will. Convinced that Superman is now a threat to humanity, Batman wants to end his reign on Earth, while the conniving Lex Luthor (Jesse Eisenberg) launches his own crusade against the Man of Steel. Lex Luthor creates this hatred between Batman and Superman so that they would hate each other, and kill each other.

Spoiler Alert: Ironically, Superman and Batman end up forgiving each other (after hearing “Martha’s” name) and end up working together to stop Lex Luthor. Additionally, the film included an appearance of Wonder Woman who helped stop Lex Luthor.

According to Forbes, Warner Bros.’ Batman v. Superman performed significantly worse on the Friday after it opened, than on opening day, earning $15.35 million. Compared to its $81.5 million on opening day, which includes the $27.7 million from Thursday’s showings, Dawn of Justice dropped  a whopping 81.2 percent. When compared strictly to its $53.8 million figure on March 25, the film saw a Friday-to-Friday drop of 71.5 percent. Warner Bros is going to scale down the number of films they release in order to improve the success of the release slate. Warner Brothers purposely made Batman V Superman with a “dark” theme. There can definitely be dark elements infused in certain stories. However, I think that Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice had a lot of depressing moments.

***

Sam’s perspective:

Batman v Superman was a big movie. It had an A-list cast, was full of special effects, and featured three of the most iconic superheroes of all time. However, does that make it good? This is the question that was very much on my mind after seeing this movie. There are aspects of the movie that are clearly flawed; it’s too long and very confusing. However, there were also parts that were a lot of fun, such as the special effects driven action sequences. Overall, Batman v. Superman was a fun, yet highly imperfect movie.

Batman v. Superman starts with the end of its predecessor Man of Steel, the 2013 Superman movie that debuted Henry Cavill in the role, in which Superman and General Zod battle in Metropolis, and in doing so, nearly destroy the entire city. However, this time we are looking at the battle from the perspective of Bruce Wayne (Ben Affleck) as he watched Superman and General Zod destroy a Wayne Enterprises building during their fight. This leads Wayne, and therefore Batman, to believe that Superman has too much power, and that this power must not be left unchecked. Meanwhile, Clark Kent also believes that Batman acts as if he is above the law and has no right to be fighting crime in Gotham. Also, the absolutely insane Lex Luthor (Jesse Eisenberg), who is a young, wealthy owner of a technology company, does not support either of these two, and has a plan to take them down.

These are three of the main factors that lead to the two heroes fighting, as the title of the film suggests. However, this synopsis doesn’t even come close to covering all the elements of the plot or describing all of the main characters in the movie. There are so many plot lines and so many characters that the story threads, including Luthor’s plan, become confusing. The movie has too many conflicts and storylines, which become hard to keep track of. The overuse of plot is at fault for the movie’s two and half hour run time, which proves to be way too long in this particular case. The excess of these elements causes confusion and takes away from the overall experience of watching the movie.

Despite the long runtime and confusing plot, there are a great deal of positive elements of this film. First, the acting is extremely impressive. Ben Affleck is fantastic as Batman and even though Christian Bale occupied the part just four years ago, Affleck had me convinced from the first moment he was on screen. His version of Batman, that of an older Bruce Wayne, who has grown to be darker and more cynical, proves to be more compelling and complex than the other variations of the character. Gal Gadot, who plays Wonder Woman, steals nearly all the scenes in which she appears, but is underused over the course of the movie. However, this might prove to be a good thing, as a solo Wonder Woman movie will be released in 2017.

The other aspect of this movie that I really enjoyed was the action sequences, which mainly occurred in the last third of the movie. The script does a fine job of setting up the various fights that take place, but the fights themselves were the more memorable parts. The best fight in the movie is the Batman versus Superman fight, which I thought, before watching the movie, would be easily won by Superman. However, the battle turns out to be exactly what one would hope it would be: an equally matched clash of Batman’s intellect versus Superman’s strength.

• Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice (Dual Perspectives)

Arts & Entertainment

Baby Driver: An Unexpected Hit

Arts & Entertainment

Dunkirk Review

Arts & Entertainment

Battery Dance Festival

Arts & Entertainment

A Shinning Star in Moonlight: Jharrel Jerome

Arts & Entertainment

La La Land, Reviewed

Arts & Entertainment

Hidden Figures, Reviewed

Arts & Entertainment

Denial Reviewed

Arts & Entertainment

Nerve: Reviewed

Arts & Entertainment

Room: A Movie of Tragedy and Recuperation of the Human Spirit

• Arts & Entertainment

Sisters Review