The student newspaper of the Ramaz Upper School

The Rampage

Nerve: Reviewed

Netanel Kamel '18

Friends pressure high school senior, Vee Delmonico (Emma Roberts), to join popular online game “Nerve.” Nerve is a game similar to truth or dare, just without “truth.” Users who play Nerve choose to be in one of two groups: players or watchers. Watchers must pay in order to watch other people perform dares in real time. Players receive dares and win cash after completing each dare. Additionally, they receive more followers after completing each dare. Vee decides to perform one dare, which is to kiss a random guy, who turns out to be Ian (Matt Franco). Soon after, Ian receives a dare to sing to Vee publically. The watchers decide that they enjoy Vee and Ian together, and the duo are partnered together as a result. The dares become increasingly more dangerous, leading Vee and Ian to the finale, which will determine their entire future. Although this game is illegal, watchers and players are warned to keep quiet due to the known phrase “snitches get stitches.” All users who attempt to get the police involved become prisoners of the game. Prisoners of the game must win or else their identities and money are stolen. Playing Nerve automatically causes one’s computer to become a server, making it nearly impossible to shut down the game.

According to Rotten Tomatoes, Nerve received a total of 61%, based on critic’s reviews. It also received a 75% audience score. Nerve is based on a 2012 novel. The movie attempts to be very modern in how it is filmed. Many scenes include watching the players’ dares through the smartphones of watchers. “There’s a great idea here and an important message, but it fails to live up to its promise or deliver on the full potential of its concept in almost every way,” said an Imagine Games Network (IGN) review.

• Nerve: Reviewed

Arts & Entertainment

Baby Driver: An Unexpected Hit

• Nerve: Reviewed

Arts & Entertainment

Dunkirk Review

• Nerve: Reviewed

Arts & Entertainment

Battery Dance Festival

• Nerve: Reviewed

Arts & Entertainment

A Shinning Star in Moonlight: Jharrel Jerome

• Nerve: Reviewed

Arts & Entertainment

La La Land, Reviewed

• Nerve: Reviewed

Arts & Entertainment

Hidden Figures, Reviewed

• Nerve: Reviewed

Arts & Entertainment

Denial Reviewed

• Nerve: Reviewed

Arts & Entertainment

Room: A Movie of Tragedy and Recuperation of the Human Spirit

• Nerve: Reviewed

Arts & Entertainment

Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice (Dual Perspectives)

• Arts & Entertainment

Sisters Review