Chanukah Excursion

Chanukah+Excursion

Each year, the GO and the administration plan three schoolwide excursions. This month, Ramaz students had the opportunity to venture on the Winter (or Chanukah) Excursion. Unlike the earlier Fall Excursion, each grade experienced a different trip or activity. The Freshmen travelled to the American Natural History Museum, where they were able to explore the different exhibits on their own. The Sophomores had the option of either going to the Metropolitan Museum of Art or the Hayden Planetarium. Juniors went to High Exposure, a rock climbing facility located in Northvale, New Jersey.  Most Seniors stayed in the Upper School, which was transformed into a real-life arcade featuring laser tag, bubble soccer, and a game room. Moreover, students from all four grades had the option to visit the MC Escher exhibit in Brooklyn instead of embarking on their respective grade trips.

Freshmen were given periods five through nine free to go to the American Natural History Museum. Once they were at the museum, they were given the chance to participate in a scavenger hunt, view the Butterfly Conservatory, or navigate the Unseen Oceans Exhibit. Freshman seemed to enjoy the museum very much. Caroline Schwartz ’22 said, “I liked how I was able to go to more than one exhibit, and I particularly enjoyed the Butterfly Conservatory. Most of all, however, I truly appreciated all the freedom the administration gave us on the trip: it allowed me to catch up with friends that are not in my classes.”

Similarly to the Freshmen, Sophomores were also given periods five through nine free to go to either the Metropolitan Museum of Art or the Hayden Planetarium. Those who chose to go to the Planetarium were treated to a viewing of the IMAX movie Nature in the Backyard.  Those who chose to visit the MET had the opportunity to sample the museum’s vast art collection. Sophomores seemed less pleased with their excursion than the Freshman. Emma Stonehill ’21 noted, “the excursion was a nice idea, but honestly I saw so many kids wander away from the group and go do their own thing instead of what they were supposed to do. I think more kids would have enjoyed the trip if it was not as learning-oriented.”

Unlike the rest of the students in the Upper School, Juniors were given a class-free day in order to go to High Exposure. Junior Class President Gabi Potter ’20 said on behalf of himself and his Co-President that the daylong trip was planned with the intention of reducing stress. “We wanted to make the trip as stress free as possible,” said Potter. “We know it’s a busy time of year for juniors, and we just wanted to plan a trip that focused solely on having fun and bonding.” Perhaps more so than any other grade, the juniors seemed to truly enjoy their trip.  Debbie Gad ’20 said, “The trip was so much fun. Everyone who came on the trip really bonded with one another.” Gad expressed a hint of disappointment, however, over the limited attendance among members of her grade. She said, “It’s just frustrating how so many kids didn’t even show up and just used the day to do work. The school tries to do nice things for us, but if half the grade doesn’t even come to school, then they are eventually just going to stop trying in general.”

Seniors were given periods seven and eight free to enjoy “lunch and games in the building.” The gym was turned into a laser tag arena as seniors brawled with one another. Additionally, the auditorium was transformed into a court for bubble soccer, a version of soccer in which each player is stuffed into an inflatable bubble suit. Bubble soccer seemed to be the most popular activity in the building, with student lining up outside the auditorium for a turn on the court. Additionally, room 201 was converted into a game room equipped with an X-Box, PS4, and Nintendo Switch. The seniors seemed satisfied with the in-building excursion, but there were also some complaints about the fact that seniors were given less free time than any other grade. Jack Ottensoser ’19 said, “I thought it was a smart idea to have games inside the building, but they barely gave us any time. I think it’s pretty ironic that the seniors (who typically get the most free time) were given the least free time during the Chanukah Excursion day.”

Another option open to anyone in all four grades was the MC Escher Exhibit in Brooklyn, which showcases the work of Dutch graphic artist MC Escher. Those who attended the exhibit seemed extremely enthusiastic. Yola Ashkenazie ’20 said, “At first, I only signed up to go to the exhibit because I live in Brooklyn, but I was actually pleasantly surprised because I really enjoyed the exhibit. I recommend it to anyone: it was extremely fun and interactive and I got to take some great pictures.”

Overall, most students seemed to appreciate and enjoy the excursions and trips that were planned for them. In the words of GO member Sophia Kremer ’20: “It was nice that they gave us almost a full day off to hang out with our friends. Other schools typically give their students entire days off during Chanukah, but I think the day of activities the school planned for us was a better alternative.”