Chanukah At Ramaz

The week of Chanukah was quite exciting at Ramaz, partly because students had the challenge of getting acquainted with a new schedule each day and partly because of the various assemblies and trips to celebrate the holiday.

On Monday, December 3, the second day of Chanukah, students were dismissed at 4:00pm because of a freshman teachers’ meeting. Kira Jacobs ’21 said, “I really appreciated starting the week of Chanukah off with an early dismissal. It made my day!”  Although there was nothing planned especially for Chanukah the following day, the day was still unique because it followed a rosh chodesh schedule. Ron Alweiss ’22 said, “Rosh Chodesh schedules are always my favorite! I love the extra time in davening.”  

On Wednesday, day four of Chanukah, Ramaz celebrated with a communal candle lighting ceremony. First, Mr. Cannon spoke to the students, delivering a funny and interactive speech about looking at the Chanukah story among many others from multiple perspectives. Then, Rabbi Stochel lit the Menorah and the whole school sang as one.  Beth Kahn ’20 said, “Mr. Cannon’s speech was really interesting and had all the students listening. I also really liked the whole school together singing.”

On Thursday, each grade went on a different Chanukah excursion. The freshman class went to the Museum of Natural History, of which Samara Blatt ’22 said, “That was one of the best school trips I’ve ever been on. I really loved looking at the Great Blue Whale.”  The sophomore class had a choice to go the Metropolitan Museum of Art or the planetarium. Alex Zemmol ’21 expressed that “I really appreciated Ramaz taking us to such an amazing museum. I loved the Egyptian exhibit and everything about the trip!” The junior class went rock climbing.  Gail Haffif ’22 said, “ I really enjoyed rock climbing and hanging out with my friends. I think the whole junior class enjoyed it!” Lastly, the senior class stayed in Ramaz and had activities set up for them in the school. Rebecca Douer ’19 said, “I really enjoyed the Chanukah excursion and loved not having to leave the building!”

The week ended with a lovely Friday winter rosh chodesh schedule, quite a mouthful. Overall, the Ramaz students greatly enjoyed the week of Chanukah and appreciate all the activities Ramaz planned!