The Rampage

Updated Email

Gabriel Klapholz ’17

Over the summer, the Ramaz email was updated to a newer version of Microsoft Outlook. “Ramaz had been running their outdated email system on Microsoft Exchange Server 2003,” said Tzvi Merczynski-Hait ’15. “Recently, they upgraded to Office 365…the newest version,” he said.

For most of the summer, students could not access their Ramaz emails because they were under construc- tion. Many returned to their emails to find a long list of unread mail.

The new email had some interesting new features, including revised contact lists and options for chang- ing font and text size in one’s message. Easy shortcuts made email simpler and clearer. However, earlier this year, the newly updated email suddenly returned to the light version of Office 365 that closely resembles the email from last year. An anonymous source said that the its staff received many complaints about the speed of the full version and therefore decided to change back to the light version of the email.

Some students said, “it is not the right decision to limit everybody’s email experience because of problems that a few people reported” and that the speed issues have to do with the “computers where they are checking their emails, not the actual server itself.”

Now, most of the glitches have been fixed and the most updated version of the email is being used, not the light version. But does this new email truly improve communication between Ramaz students, faculty, and administrators?

“An update [from last year’s version] was necessary,” said Noam Kaplan ’16. “One couldn’t write an email for more than two minutes without a timeout and had to keep logging in,” he said. While the current update solves these prob- lems, Kaplan also expressed his skepticism on the issue. Perhaps students simply need time to get used to the new email, “but in general,” he said, “we needed something new.” “As is expected with any major upgrade,” said Merczynski-Hait, “there have been a few glitches, but I’m sure they will be worked out shortly.”

• Updated Email

Archives

Ties Postponed Until After Sukkot

• Archives

Ali Abu Awwad Speaks at Ramaz

• Updated Email

Archives

The Death of Klinghoffer

• Archives

Should Mandarin Be Offered at Ramaz?

• Updated Email

Archives

A Failed Responsibility

• Updated Email

Archives

NBA Preview

• Updated Email

Archives

Bus Crash in Brooklyn

• Updated Email

Archives

Mr. Rapp Goes to Israel

• Updated Email

Archives

Mr. Shaviv to Leave

• Updated Email

Archives

Letter to the Editor

The student newspaper of the Ramaz Upper School