The official newspaper of the Ramaz Upper School

The Rampage

The Rampage

The Rampage

How is the new skirts policy going?

For over eighteen months, the question of the Ramaz uniform skirts loomed over students, causing grueling anticipation. However, it was not until this coming school year that the administration decided to implement a new dress code. Through the end of last school year, female students lodged their endless complaints at the letter R on the hem, and the length of the new, less stylish skirts, as if little black skirts were the top trendiest fashion item.

Nonetheless, as the new school year approached and new skirts spilled into closets, students and faculty were curious as to how the strict dress code would play out. Predictions varied from assumptions that as time went on, hemlines would rise, while many thoughts that students would give into ankle length skirts. While the dress code has always included a statement enforcing skirts of appropriate length, the administration implemented new skirts to return a fraction of dignity back to the school and restore expectations for students.

It seemed to many that the fight of skirt length would be a battle not won for a long time; yet, this was shockingly easily won. From the same, basic maxi that most girls are wearing to the floral ankle skirts that mainly seniors wear, the administration is thrilled to cross this off of their list of things to complain about. What caused Ramaz girls to resort to ankle skirts rather than purchasing the uniform skirt?What Nevuah did girls get over the summer that inspired them to make this bold fashion statement?

Firstly, many thought that the price of the skirt was unreasonable. Forty dollars for at least four skirts ultimately sums up to almost two hundred dollars. For many, the most reasonable option is to wear maxi-skirts. The preferable choice was the cheaper, less annoying, and more comfortable option. Instead of constantly checking the length of the skirt at the risk of being skirted, ankle length skirts avoid the issue and frankly, they’re unbelievably comfortable.

All it took was one rule to fulfill the administration’s hopes of dignified dressed female students. It really just is a skirt and it doesn’t take that much energy to wear it at the required length. The fact that most girls resorted to maxi skirts instead of wearing the uniform skirt shows that the length of the skirt isn’t a big deal, but it took a rule and a new skirt to change minds.