“Getting to Know You”: Mr. Canon’s First Months at Ramaz

Now that the chagim have come to a close and school is in full swing, Mr. Cannon too is becoming better acquainted with Ramaz. He referred to the first few months at Ramaz as his “meet and greet phase,” a time when he can get to know as many people as he possibly can, building relationships and accumulating information in the most efficient way possible. Thus far, Cannon has connected with the Board of Trustees, set up dates to meet with parents, and planned to attend classes in all three divisions of Ramaz to gain a better understanding of daily life at the school. He wants to know what students are passionate about, which will allow him to gain a better understanding of the issues that are important to address. “The more you listen, the more you get a sense that there is a common feeling about something,” said Cannon. “It helps to know what people want so we can make changes where needed.”

Even more valuable than experiencing the classes and interacting with the community is meeting with the students, and Mr. Cannon believes that he can benefit tremendously by meeting with students in small groups both formally and informally. Mr. Cannon would like to meet with Upper School students over lunch, talk to students in the hallways, and perhaps plan more formal meetings to discuss certain issues concerning Ramaz. Students provide Mr. Cannon with an authentic point of view and opinions that may differ from those of the faculty and administration. For example, Mr. Cannon believes that it would be valuable to discuss with students those issues that are more commonly limited to an administrative or board meeting, including Ramaz’s reputation and trends in admissions. Mr. Cannon hopes that the input of the students will make a difference not only in everyday issues, such as the food served in the snack cart, but also in large-scale decisions that affect the future direction of Ramaz.

One of Mr. Cannon’s goals is to further promote Ramaz as an institution, in particular, the Upper School. He hopes to further enhance the school’s reputation. He explained, “The perceived reputation of the school is affecting some people who will be very happy here.” He emphasized that it is important for Ramaz to establish a clear framework around what defines it as a school. Mr. Cannon explained, “We need to be the best Ramaz we can be. We don’t need to try to be like any other school. Ramaz needs to promote itself as an institution that encourages students who love to learn.” Cannon explained that spreading this important message will attract excited and motivated students to Ramaz.

“We need to be the best Ramaz we can be. We don’t need to try to be like any other school. Ramaz needs to promote itself as an institution that encourages students who love to learn.”

— Mr. Jonathan Canon, Head of School

Additionally, Mr. Cannon aims to advance the technological infrastructure at the school, eventually implementing state-of-the-art technology in everyday learning. Cannon has laid out three specific goals regarding the improvement and integration of technology into learning. First, he wants to ensure that the technology, which serves as a critical aspect of the infrastructure of the school, is functioning properly. This includes replacing or updating Smart Boards, computers, or any other items as needed. Second, he is encouraging the use of technology to enhance learning, and believes technology should be used in the classroom to help ensure that lessons are interactive, dynamic, and exciting. Last, Mr. Cannon’s technology vision involves increasing the number of STEM classes offered in all three divisions of Ramaz. The Upper School and Middle School currently provide STEM-related learning opportunities, but Mr. Cannon believes that there is room for improvement as this is a constantly developing area in all schools. “What is beneficial about STEM classes” said Mr. Cannon, “is that they provide a cross-disciplinary form of learning. You need to apply what you learned in both the Arts and Sciences in order to succeed. Or you even need to apply what you learned in Judaic Studies for example, if you are building Noah’s Ark on a 3D printer!”

Perhaps Mr. Cannon’s most impressive realization in his experience thus far is that “everyone wants Ramaz to shine.” Mr. Cannon noted that “one thing that I was not prepared for was the sheer passion of everyone associated with this school.”  Whether it be the students, faculty, board members or administration, everyone involved with Ramaz wants to make the institution the best it can be. Mr. Cannon is confident that by meeting and listening to his constituents, developing and enhancing the school’s STEM program, and promoting the school by clearly articulating its mission, Ramaz will continue its path of excellence.