More Than Just a Color

More Than Just a Color

Over the course of October, Ramaz, under the guidance of Ms. Benel, raised awareness for two painful situations currently affecting Americans. On Friday, October 12, Ramaz participated in Pink Day in support of Breast Cancer Awareness Month. Two weeks later, on Friday, October 26, Ramaz students dressed in purple as a show of support for Domestic Abuse Awareness Month.

For Pink Day, the Chesed club sold pink merchandise. Students could been seen wearing pink bracelets, sporting pink bandanas, and eating donuts with pink frosting. Challot were sold in the lobby to raise more money, and the Tzedakah committee visited each classroom to collect funds. The money collected from the booth and from classrooms was donated to Sharsheret and the Breast Cancer Research Foundation. “The tattoos and bracelets were sick, and the challahs were great, as they always are,” said Max Jankelovits ’21. In order to encourage boys to participate, the standard dress code of a button down with a sweater or tie was not in effect for all who arrived in pink.

Sharsheret is an organization designed to help Jewish women suffering from breast or ovarian cancer. Their mission statement is “to offer a community of support to women, of all Jewish backgrounds, diagnosed with breast cancer or at increased genetic risk, by fostering culturally-relevant individualized connections with networks of peers, health professionals, and related resources.” Sharsheret was founded by Rochelle Shoretz in November 2001 after she was diagnosed with the disease at the age of 28. She died in 2015, only 42 years old, but her legacy lives on.  Sharsheret continues to help women suffering with breast cancer by providing support groups and investing in breast-cancer related research.

On Sunday, October 14, Ramaz joined the American Cancer Society’s annual Making Strides Against Breast Cancer NYC Walk in Central Park. Students gathered at Park’s entrance and marched for four miles. Ms. Benel said, “It was incredible to see so many people stand for a cause. All different kinds of people, regardless of their political views, marching together was inspiring to see.”

Ramaz’s senior class also had the opportunity to hear from Dr. Nicole Schreiber-Agus on Wednesday, October 17. Dr. Schreiber-Agus is the co-founder and former director of the Program for Jewish Genetic Health at Einstein Medical School. She also founded MyJewishGeneticHealth.com, an online educational series about common genetic disorders found in Jewish communities. She spoke to the seniors about the importance of cancer awareness. Dr. Schreiber-Agus noted that awareness can inspire conversations about the most efficient ways of coping with a particular disease. She stressed that the key to avoiding cancer is to keep one’s body as healthy as possible. Dr. Schreiber-Agus underscored that continued research is the key to finding a cure.

The next awareness day acknowledged by Ramaz was Domestic Abuse Awareness Day. On Friday, October 26, students wore purple in solidarity with victim of domestic abuse. Purple donuts, stress toys, and bracelets were sold, along with challot tied with purple ribbons. The stress toys were a big hit. Over $300 were raised for the Shalom Task Force, a Jewish organization seeking to prevent domestic violence and help its victims. The organization strives to “sensitize our communities” so that victims can feel comfortable and unashamed about reaching out for assistance. Shalom Task Force works closely with leaders in several Jewish communities, offering them guidance on how to appropriately comfort victims of domestic abuse. They also offer legal assistance for those who need restraining orders or divorces. According to Shalom Task Force’s website, one in every three women are in abusive relationships. Shalom Task Force defines “abuse” not only as physical harm, but also as emotional harassment, financial intimidation, or stalking.

Ms. Benel feels that domestic abuse is a very sensitive issue that is “deeply rooted in our culture.” Emma Stonehill ’21, who managed the selling of purple products, said, “I am appreciative of the opportunity I had to stand for a cause that is so important.” Daniella Norman ’21 agreed, stating,

“It’s important that we try to understand the depth of domestic abuse. I am proud to be part of a school which raises awareness for it.”

— Daniella Norman '21

Overall, most students felt that these two days were very successful. Rachel Freilich ’22 said, “The whole school coming together in a uniform way really sent a message that we are all uniting to respond to these tragedies that affect so many lives.” Some students even remarked that they wish these awareness days could have been more widely acknowledged. One junior suggested that all the Jewish schools in the tristate area coordinate these days of awareness. She said, “I think it would raise more money for organizations like Sharsheret and Shalom Task Force. More importantly, though, it would show that Jewish teenagers are ready to act and not just discuss these problems.”