Q&A: Getting to Know Coach Matt

In line with Ramaz’s annual theme, “Ramaz 2020: See different,” Ramaz has hired a new athletics director, Mr. Eli Katz, as well as a new boys’ gym coach, Matthew Ospala. Coach Matt, as he is called, graduated from Bergen Community College in Paramus NJ, with an associate’s degree in sports management. He has worked and still works as a sports instructor at the Jewish Community Center in Tenafly NJ. Coach Matt is also a basketball coach and trainer in northern Jersey. The Rampage interviewed Coach Matthew Ospala to learn more about him and how he plans to enhance the athletics department Ramaz: 

Caitlin Levine: What are your responsibilities as boys’ gym coach at Ramaz? 

Coach Matthew Ospala: My responsibilities at Ramaz are to make sure kids are getting exercise during gym class. Also making sure kids are showing up to class prepared and are showing effort during class.

CL: Which is your favorite sport to coach?

MO: Basketball

CL: Did you play on any sports teams in high school or college?

MO: Yes in high school I played soccer and basketball. In college I played D3 basketball for 2 years.

CL: Is there anything you would like to change about how gym is run in Ramaz? 

MO: No. I really like the way it’s run and I feel the school spirit!

CL: What is the strangest excuse you’ve heard to get out of participating in class so far?

MO:  That someone forgot their gym clothes on the bus on the way to school.

CL: Who have your role models been? 

MO: Ms. Cohen and Coach Katz

CL: What do you hope to bring to your students?

MO: I hope to bring a lot of energy and positivity to them so that they enjoy their time in gym class.

So far, students have enjoyed their gym classes with Coach Matt. Max Jankelovitz 21’ said, “I have only experienced a few gym classes with Coach Matt, but I feel like he is a really good addition to Ramaz. I look forward to getting to know him better.” Ms. Cohen, our seasoned Ramaz girls’ gym teacher, is also excited about her male counterpart. She explained, “I do get asked a lot: ‘Ms. Cohen, how old is he??’” But in her opinion, “Coach Matt is doing a good job so far. It’s very hard to fill in for someone who has been in Ramaz for over 30 years. He’s learning the ropes like ‘Friday Rosh Chodesh schedule’ and making kids leave the gym to go daven Mincha! But I’m confident Coach Matt will be an excellent role model and teacher for our students.”