Q&A: Getting to Know Mr. Patrick Letourneau

Mr. Patrick Letourneau loves math, soccer, skiing, and teaching. He enjoys helping students improve not only their academic abilities but also their athletic abilities. He is looking forward to the school year, and is eager to get to know the students. The Rampage interviewed Mr. Letourneau to learn more about him.

Nicole Hirschkorn: Where are you from and where did you grow up?

Mr. Patrick Letourneau: Bethlehem, Pennsylvania. 

NH: What college did you attend?

PL: Colgate University. 

NH: What was your favorite and least favorite subject in school?

PL: Math was my favorite and my least favorite English.

NH: What was your first job?

PL: Soccer camp counselor, I’ve been doing that since I was 16.

NH: What do you enjoy doing in your free time?

PL: Working out, hanging out with family, skiing, traveling with my girlfriend. 

I love going out to dinner; anything that involves eating is a good call. I also like watching movies. 

NH: What sports do you play? What is your favorite sport? 

PL: Tennis, soccer, cross-country, volleyball. Soccer is my favorite sport. 

I’m actually the floor hockey coach in the middle school, too.

NH: Who is your role model and why?

PL: For most of my life I’ve looked up to my older sister; she set the bar athletically and academically. Many people will say a celebrity or someone famous, but a role model more close to home makes more sense to me.

NH: How would your friends describe you?

PL: Loud, high-energy, and loyal. If anyone needs help with anything, I’m always there.

NH: What made you decide to become a math teacher?

PL: When I was in high school and my friends didn’t understand math, I helped them understand; I liked that feeling of helping them. I really enjoy working with kids and I enjoy helping younger kids understand material. 

NH: What brought you to your role at Ramaz?

PL: My girlfriend and I recently moved to the Upper East Side to start her residency, and I started looking at private and public schools. Private schools have different opportunities than public schools; it’s a different kind of setting. I can walk to work, and being close to my job is amazing. 

NH: What do you like most about working at Ramaz?

PL: Multiple things. So far the atmosphere of my co-workers and students has been very supportive. Everyone has been very welcoming. Maintenance workers and security are always so nice. Compared to public schools, classes are much smaller and it’s easier to get to know kids. 

NH: What impact do you hope to make on the Ramaz community?

PL: In terms of students, I hope to inspire them and help prepare them for college life. That translates to good job skills in life. I hope to make an impact on not just math-related things, life-related things too. I want to be an outlet for students. Athletically, I’m trying to improve student’s soccer skills, and I’m trying to bring that into play as much as possible.

NH: What piece of advice would you leave for Ramaz students?

PL: Right now in a small setting like this, kids have “big fish in a small pond” syndrome. The biggest adjustment they’ll have to make in life after high school is “small fish in a big pond” syndrome i.e. college. When you reach the next level (college) you have to raise yourself to the next level. A lot of kids are just as good as you. If you want to be the best person you can be you have to crank it up a notch. Living with regret is bad. For the seniors: work hard but enjoy college. It’ll impact you for a while. 

We are excited to introduce Mr. Letourneau into the math department and wish him success in his new role.