Virtual Embrace of Talmud

When the hallways are still quiet and the lounges empty, before the Ramaz rush-hour with mass tap-ins and students dashing to various davening locations, a small learning group can be found congregated in the second floor Beit Knesset. Beginning at 7:40 am, the Gemara Yomi program, led by Rabbi Weiser, gathers students to learn a portion of Gemara lishma to kickstart the day. The class offers meaningful conversation, a welcoming environment, and hot chocolate. 

The origins of this program can be traced to a student initiative following the Siyum HaShas celebration in January. Eager students approached Rabbi Weiser, asking if they could launch a Gemara learning program at Ramaz. It was decided that a blat (one double sided page of Talmud text), the daily portion covered each day in Daf Yomi, was too much material to learn in a 15 minute class. Instead, a smaller chunk of text is covered each morning. Since January third, a total of 22 pages have been covered by the learning group (and 150 packets of hot chocolate consumed!). Students are impressed with the amount of text they are learning, “Every time you finish a page, you feel pride in what you’ve accomplished, and that’s a great way to start the day” said Ron Alweiss ’22. 

Each morning the group gathers and learns bekiut, a learning method aimed at covering material, with less focus on questions. Conversely, the Ramaz Talmud curriculum teaches b’iyun, spending an extensive period of time learning about a certain topic in depth. Brayden Serphos ’22 enjoys this learning group and considers it to be “more fulfilling [than class] because it is something I choose to do instead of being forced to do it. It really feels like a chevruta with friends instead of a class.” In anticipation for Purim, the learning began with masechet megillah, which discusses the Purim story and the various mitzvot associated with the holiday. They are currently learning straight through and plan on completing the entire masechet

The Gemara Yomi program fosters an environment that welcomes Talmud students of all levels and skill sets. “Everyone is asking thoughtful questions, following, and focused; everyone wants to be here and gain from this. It is a pleasure watching the students interact and absorb what we are learning,” said Rabbi Weiser. Continuous exposure to Talmud learning also strengthens the attendees’ reading skills and analysis of the text. “They are processing how the Gemara develops sentences, they have acquired vocabulary, and [they] learn why they [commentators] are interpreting pesukim the way they do. I don’t think these are the same kids that started two months ago,” said Rabbi Weiser. This enrichment is providing students with the tools to excel in Talmud class and learning, and how to better approach new material. For some, this program is the highlight of their day, offering rigorous learning in a relaxed environment. Serphos said, “It’s truly a great way to start the day. It makes me excited to come to school and see Rabbi Weiser and my friends. We learn Gemara and schmooze a bit before davening.” 

With the recent virtual switch to online classes via Zoom, the Gemara Yomi program has adapted accordingly. The group now meets each evening at 7:30 pm, with students and parents from different schools joining in as well. Sophomore Sarah Hamerman from Yeshiva University High School for Girls said, “I was happy to interact with people outside my school, and especially right now [when] I don’t get to do that so often.” She added that “the teacher was really nice and super welcoming. He didn’t know me at all but still welcomed me and let me participate.” This has expanded the learning community, even amidst isolation, and “the sense of intimacy and camaraderie that has been created is still there,” said Rabbi Weiser. Alweiss said that “having something after classes during this time is a fun and stimulating way to keep occupied.” 

This program has proved to be a huge success, benefiting students of all levels. Those who are weaker in Hebrew or not particularly strong in Talmud should not worry, as the text is broken down and in a warm atmosphere. Students will improve their Talmud skills and form a bond with fellow participants. Alweiss said, “Along with the Gemara we learn daily, I also feel a sense of community with Rabbi Weiser and the rest of the group.”