What it Takes to Be a Club Leader

Since freshman year, students are invited to participate in club fair. A wide variety of clubs are presented to students, and they’re allowed to tryout and join as many clubs as they would like. Club leadership and opportunities are a big part of Ramaz student life as students spend many years learning about and participating in clubs they enjoy. Later, students that show commitment to their clubs have the opportunity to lead these clubs. Leadership is both a blessing and a responsibility. There is immense work that club leaders put into creating a welcoming and productive club environment for all participants. 

Students can be leaders of as many clubs as they choose as long as they put the necessary work and effort into that club. Many students lead a range of clubs in many categories including math, science, sports, art, music, and politics. To become a leader, one must show the captain his or her dedication to the club. To demonstrate commitment, a student should be present at club meetings, participate in discussions and activities, and be an active club member. Sophia Rein ‘21, a leader of several school clubs, said that she and her co-captains were chosen to lead their clubs because they actively showed interest in them.

Students that stand out among other club members are awarded leadership opportunities. Songwriting club leader and creator Ron Alweiss ‘22 said, “Club leading is beneficial not just for yourself but also for the students who will learn from you and express themselves through their clubs.” Despite all the club benefits, there is lots of hard work involved in leading, including maintaining deadlines and balancing the extra work and any regular school requirements.

Ramaz students are also able to create new clubs when they find that their passion is not represented. Starting a club is a complicated process that requires hard work with faculty advisors and co-leaders. Finding students to participate in new clubs can be a draining but rewarding task that leads to an official addition to Ramaz’s long list of clubs.

Faculty advisors can play a large role in club leadership, often dictating the logistics involved with club meetings and competitions. Some faculty advisors are only overseers who are not strongly involved in club meetings and allow the student leaders to take the wheel and run the club on their own and with their co-captains. Akiva Shlomovitich 21’ said, “Co-captains generally take more control of the club; they frequently contact each other, emailing and texting. There are group chats and email chains for captains who are continually discussing meets and how to run their club most efficiently.” 

For anyone thinking of trying out for a leadership position, it is essential to remember that there is a lot of hard work, late nights, and coordinating that takes place. Despite all the challenges leaders face, becoming a club head is a rewarding experience that allows one to help shepherd the other club members towards success. The most important thing to remember is to try new things, find passions, and work hard.