The Ramaz Hybrid System in Comparison

Ramaz, SAR, Frisch, and Heschel each have different versions of a hybrid schooling system.

“Back to school” took on a new meaning in September 2020 as schools across the country struggled to reopen school in the midst of Covid-19. Schools had many options to consider in light of the pandemic, choosing the structure that best suited their students, faculty and staff. Jewish Day Schools, like Ramaz, SAR, Frisch, and Heschel, each established their own policies based on the institution’s individual needs. 

In Ramaz’s hybrid system, students alternate between in-person learning and virtual learning. According to Hannah K., a Freshman, “I really like the new Ramaz hybrid system because u look forward to being on zoom and being at home, and then it gets you excited to be in class and see all your friends”.While these are the Ramaz guidelines, many other schools have different approaches. The administration chose not to test students for the virus, while Frisch, SAR, and Heschel required returning students to be tested.

Frisch, located in Paramus, New Jersey, is conducting mostly in-person classes. Unlike Ramaz, the suburban setting allows them to have a large outdoor campus. Tents were set up throughout the campus allowing for four out of the five weekdays to be in-person learning for each grade. Students are provided with a locker and lunch is served daily.

Similar to Frisch, SAR, in Riverdale, also has in-personlearning four out of five days of the week. Like at Ramaz, students are not given lockers. SAR has the benefit of being near a few Kosher restaurants, so students are allowed to buy lunch outside of the building.

Heschel, also located in Manhattan, follows a similar approach to Ramaz’s hybrid system. There

is in-person learning as well as virtual learning from home throughout the week. One Heschel student, Ginger Weinstein, commented, “I feel safe and happy to actually be in the school building.” It is clear that schools with less space, like Ramaz and Heschel, which are both in the city, cannot safely teach all of their high school students in-person at the same time. Both administrations resourcefully made adjustments to provide the most amount of days for students to learn inside the school buildings.

Many students across the board are excited to beback, even if learning is not in-person every day of the week. While schools may have different considerations, they are all prioritizing the safety of their students, faculty, and staff while ensuring a solid academic program.