Singing Through the Screen

In addition to entirely remodeling the physical school building and general daily life at Ramaz, school clubs must also reconsider how to run effectively during a pandemic. The Ramaz choir, in particular, is faced with many challenges. The preparation of choral music entails rehearsal time, singing together in an enclosed room and nearly all performances include close-contact formations, clear voices, and audiences. How is the Ramaz choir running this year? The Rampage interviewed choir co-caption Taylor Roslyn ’21 to find out.

Sarah Ginsberg ’22: How will the choir rehearse songs with the new system? Do they plan to ever meet in person after school ?

Taylor Roslyn ’21: Our plan is to meet after school outdoors once a week. When the senior grade was in quarantine in September, we met virtually and tried to accomplish as much as possible online. 

SG: Did the day/time that the choir would meet after school, before the pandemic, change because of the new system?

TR: Nope! We are still practicing every wednesday! The times vary now that we have flexible schedules. Sometimes we meet later in the evening, but still every wednesday! 

SG: Is this new way of rehearsing better or worse than how the choir used to rehearse? Do people pay more attention? Are there less distractions?  

TR: It’s definitely more challenging to have a virtual choir. We are unable to sing all together due to the lag Zoom gives off and it is much easier for kids to space off on their phones. Before the pandemic, phone use was strictly prohibited and phones were often collected. 

SG: Do students take turns singing or does everyone sing together in a group?

TR: We cannot sing together due to the lag, it just doesn’t sound right, so we go one at a time. For our virtual performances, we all record ourselves singing separately and then combine the recordings virtually into one beautiful choir.  It is extremely complicated to have an active choir when we can’t sing together because of the lag. 

SG: During Zoom practice, are choir students required to sing on mute or off of mute.

TR:  In choir, students are never obligated to sing off mute unless they volunteer to do so. However, in chamber choir, the expectations are higher and students must always be ready to sing their part off mute. 

SG: Who decides the songs that the choir will sing? Are they any different because of Covid?

TR: Nothing has changed in that resort! Mr. Henkin and the choir presidents, myself included, decide on the songs. 

SG: Will the choir ever perform live this year? If so, what are your plans on how you will perform? (social distancing, masks, ect.)?

TR: It doesn’t look like we will be performing live, for safety reasons, but we have done quite a few virtual performances thus far and those will continue. Mr. Henkin has mentioned special singing masks that allows our voices to be heard while staying safe. These masks are wider and keep our voices less muffled.

SG: Will the choir continue to make Zoom videos? If so, will they be presented at the same events that they would usually be performed at? 

TR: Yes! We are trying to keep things as normal as possible and do our regular, annual performances, however, virtual. 

SG: Were there more/less people interested in choir because of the new system?

TR: Sadly, less. A big part of choir is that we are all one big family and we were able to have fun and bond and go on amazing trips! We definitely lost a few singers for this reason, but we are still going strong! 

SG: Thank you for your time today, Taylor. The Rampage wishes you best of luck with choir.

TR: Thank you so much! You as well!