Where will Students Eat Lunch in the Winter?

Photo courtesy of Ella Rabbani ’21

It is getting colder and colder so where will students eat lunch now? This is a question many students and faculty have been wondering. The school has made accommodations that have been very helpful and useful making eating lunch so far social and enjoyable. What will we do now as the weather is increasingly getting colder?

Miriam Krupka said,  “Since Ramaz is located in the city, it has a limitation on outdoor space. Because of this we are thinking creatively to find more outdoor spaces for students to hang out and eat their lunches. We opened up the street for students to eat there and the tent on three will still be open. But now, it is getting cold.”

Because of this “lunch will be more classroom focused. Much more classrooms will be open but students are still to be assigned to their halves of the building.”  

Eating outside has been very convenient because it allows you to sit and mingle with friends that you have no classes with and don’t get to see throughout the day. Aviva Shilowitz ’24 said “I like outdoor dining because all my friends are gathered outside and it’s easier to spot everyone. Plus, it’s easier to eat in a larger group”. Now that lunch  will be inside and designated to more classroom settings, the opportunity to bond and interact with other students will be limited. For Freshman in particular, who are new to the school, this will be a challenge for the grade to come together, get to know each other, and create meaningful friendships.

Perhaps it’s time to discuss layering up. Stock up on your fleece lined leggings, thermals, ski jackets , hats , gloves and scarves. Sophie Schwartz ’24 said, “I would rather sit inside in the comfort of warmth than outside shivering in the cold.” However, there will be plenty of kids still wanting to eat outdoors and adjusting your wardrobe to the new climate may be the way to go. Maybe the school can  invest in outdoor heaters and do similar design set ups as the New York city restaurants. You have to admit outdoor dining has never looked so good. 

Ms. Krupka notes that it will be more difficult for the one’s designated to the upper floors because they don’t have as much space to spread out the same way as the other lower levels of the school. For example, the lower levels have access to the auditorium, the gym, even the lunch room. The 10th and 11th graders who inhabit the upper level will be at a disadvantage as their space is more confined and their social distance orbit will be harder to maintain.

As we have always felt lucky to be in New York, one of the most thriving cities in the world, during this time we are in an unfortunate position. We have seasons to contend with, spatial issues to manage, not to mention all the new covid laws and precautions to respect and adhere to.