Summer Mentorship Program

Summer mentorship presentations at beginning of 2020-2021 school year of Summer 2020 projects

Are you wondering what to do with your free time this summer? Well, you’re in luck! This summer, Ramaz is launching a free five-week Summer Mentored Project for sophomores and juniors that will run from July 13 to August 21. This program is designed to help sophomores and juniors create and execute a summer project about something they want to know more about or are interested in exploring. The project can be about an academic subject such as: computer science, history, Judaic studies, science, etc. On the flip side,  it can be about something you’re passionate about, which doesn’t have to do with academics, such as: social media, art, chesed, and music. These are just a few of the many fields you can choose from; it can be about anything as long as it requires help. This project will prepare students for independent learning as students are expected to work on this project on their own and online classes will not be given. The only requirement is that you spend a minimum of 6 hours a week for 5 weeks working on this project. 

The Summer Mentored Project will pair each stu dent with a Ramaz faculty or staff member who will serve as his/her mentor. Though most of the student’s work will be done independently, mentors will meet with their students once a week on Zoom. During these Zoom calls students can ask their mentors any questions they have and make adjustments to their plan. Students are also free to send their mentors drafts of their project if they want to receive feedback.

The final project of each student can differ based on their topic. Students that are working on academic projects can simply discuss what they learned with the Ramaz community as their final project. They can choose to present their project in class, during an assembly, in an article in the Rampage, or even in a Ramaz club. On the other hand, students that are completing a project that produces something at the end, such as art, can use the piece they have been working on as their final project. Lastly, students that are focusing on a more business approach can create a business plan or even launch a business as their final project. 

In order to participate in this Summer Mentored Project, students must fill out an online application by June 29th consisting of their subject and a description. There is no GPA required, but students with an F or W on their transcript will not be accepted. If you’re interested in taking part in this program this summer, start thinking about a project proposal and don’t forget to sign up !