Bring Back Elevators

I did not know if I was going to make it back to school on time because seventh period was in four minutes. I had eight seconds to cross Park Avenue before the light changed to red. As I was speeding across the double-avenue, I slipped and scraped my knee, face down on the island between the crosswalks. Limping back to school, I tapped into the building just as the bell rang. My instincts begged me to take the elevator to math class which was taking place in SC-SEM, but I knew that the new school policy forbids students from using the elevator. With my very sore leg, I barely made it down the stairs to the gym— I knew at that moment I could have gone to the nurse to get an elevator pass which I did get later that day, but the clock was ticking and I was missing my review period for my upcoming Math exam. I made it to class just a few minutes late, sat down, and began taking notes as if nothing had happened. After this experience, I came to the conclusion that the new elevator policy was irritating and had to be revised.

On November 8th, the administration implemented a new policy banning the use of elevators during school hours for students, but not teachers. If students are found using an elevator, they will receive a detention. In a Schoology post, Ms. Krupka explained that students weren’t following the eight-person per elevator rule and that overcrowded elevators prevented students and teachers from exiting the elevators. Elevators will be opened up again once students adhere to guidelines and follow the schools’ expectations. Only a student with an elevator pass from the nurse may use the elevator.

I agree with this policy in that students should be taking the stairs more often. After all, almost every student has had an experience in the elevator where it stopped at every floor, some students only using it to get to one floor above or below. However, this policy that completely bans elevators for students is very extreme and should be tweaked. Though many of my teachers do not mind if students are one to two minutes late to class, some expect students to arrive on time to class every day. If a student is late almost every day, it can be a detriment to his or her grade. When I have Math in room SC-SEM in the gym three days a week, it is very difficult for me and my peers to pack our bags when the bell rings, walk up a countless number of stairs to a high floor, and be marked on time to the next class– all within the short time span of four minutes. While I agree with the elevator policy in that it is pointless for students to cram into elevators to travel one floor, I think there should be an exception where students can take the elevator from the gym. This policy might be abused, but I think it is worth testing out since many students including myself can easily receive a lateness mark from having to walk up 10 flights of stairs from the gym.

Additionally, I think that students should be allowed to take the elevator coming from the lunchroom carrying a plate of food. The day before I have a test, I usually study in the library during lunch with my friends, bringing my lunch with me. There are also many students who meet with teachers during lunch in their offices and can no longer take the elevator to get there; this is especially difficult for students when they are carrying a full plate of food. Therefore, students should have the ability to ride the elevators if they are coming from the lunchroom carrying a plate of food as it is difficult to carry one’s lunch up and down the stairs without dropping anything.

I agree with the elevator policy in that students should walk more to prevent laziness and dangerously overcrowded elevators, but I do think that some exceptions should be added to this policy. Though my add-ons to the strict elevator policy might be broken, I think it would be a compelling experiment to test out.