“New” Phone Rules or Old Ideas

“New” Phone Rules or Old Ideas

This year, a new phone policy was enacted involving stricter enforcement of rules regarding students’ phones. According to Dr. Nancy Block, Sophomore Grade Dean, the policy is simply that “students cannot have their phones visible during class.” While this may seem simple for most students, Dr. Block says that this reinforcement of the rule is necessary because “it’s just too easy for kids to get distracted by the pings on their phones.” It is especially important now because “if we start discussing it from the beginning of the school year, maybe we can get to a point that teachers don’t have to remind kids every single day to put their phones away.” 

In addition to the new rule being a precautionary measure to make sure students are paying attention, the policy will allow for “much better class discussion.” Dr. Block mentioned that despite what students may think, “this has, in theory, been the policy that kids should not have their phones out during class.” She said, “we as deans and administration choose to focus on a number of issues again and try to, you know, inject them with new energy or a new kind of positive spin.” Dr. Block related this reintroduction of rules to two other policies that may seem new and more strict. “I think honestly, that’s the same with the dress code. And that’s the same with some of the other policies or lateness or detention. In the beginning of the school year, we really put a lot of effort into creating that kind of environment where everybody can be engaged students.” One way the policy is being enforced is that “all teachers are encouraged to take phones away from students. They will put them on their desk as a first warning; if it’s second, they will send them up to the office.” Although rules may seem harsher and enforced, they are only in place to improve our education and experience at school.