The official newspaper of the Ramaz Upper School

The Rampage

The Rampage

The Rampage

Welcome Rabbi Frank

Welcome Rabbi Frank

After a lengthy and thorough search process, Ramaz excitedly welcomed the new principal of Ramaz Upper School, Rabbi Aaron Frank, on December 1, 2023. Mr. Cannon outlined the comprehensive process undertaken to identify the ideal candidate for this position. This involved advertising the role, reaching out to multiple contacts in the community, and using a search firm whose primary focus is to place leaders at Yeshiva Day Schools. The outcome of this process was a series of interviews with twelve qualified candidates. Of those twelve candidates, there were five finalists thoroughly vetted over a ten month period, ultimately leading to the distinguished appointment of Rabbi Frank. 

Throughout the selection process, each candidate engaged with school leadership, faculty and staff members, student representatives, and parent representatives, providing indispensable insight that significantly contributed to the final decision. Mr. Cannon also explained what attributes they looked for in a candidate to fill the important position of the new principal of the Ramaz Upper School. He remarked that they “wanted to find somebody who is passionate about the student experience and excited to build on the program at Ramaz. It is important to have someone in that role who models Modern Orthodoxy, respects diversity, has intellectual curiosity, and above all, is a mensch and values menschlichkeit.” Although Rabbi Frank’s appointment was long awaited and highly anticipated by the entire Ramaz community, Mr. Cannon states that “we all strongly believe that it was worth the wait.” 

When asked how the administration knew that Rabbi Frank was the perfect person for the position, both Ms. Krupka and Mr. Cannon both made it clear that Rabbi Frank exceeded their expectations and truly represented the characteristics and values Ramaz was looking for. It was made clear from “the moment we met with him”, according to Mr. Cannon, that Rabbi Frank is a highly experienced, esteemed, and cherished educational leader. What set him apart most was the feedback gathered from students, professional colleagues, and parents that have worked closely with him. All of the reports consistently highlighted that Rabbi Frank leads with compassion, integrity, and a forward-thinking approach to innovation. Additionally, his proactive engagement was evident as he expressed a keen interest in spending meaningful time with our students and participating in various important events, including shabbatons, even before officially joining Ramaz.  

Rabbi Frank’s experience as a leader in the Yeshiva Day School system was second-to-none. Rabbi Frank was a successful school principal for 22 years prior to joining Ramaz. Most recently and for the past seven years, he was the head of school at the Kinneret Day School in Riverdale. Before that, Rabbi Frank worked at high schools, such as SAR in Riverdale and Beth Tfiloh in Baltimore. For his own education, Rabbi Frank received his undergraduate degree in Philosophy from the University of Michigan, his graduate degree from Columbia University’s School of Social Work, and his rabbinical ordination from Yeshivat Chovevei Torah.

Upon his arrival to Ramaz High School, Rabbi Frank admits he did not know much about Ramaz, but says that this community has proven to be truly amazing. He reflects that he has “learned so much about what a caring community is, and how this community strives to be the best Jews, Americans, and scholars that we can be.” When asked what he felt about the school functions, Rabbi Frank explained that he had been “only impressed.” Not with just the immense academic rigor and by how much goes on in this school during or after school hours, but also “with how thorough and how caring the staff is, and how the students really just have such strong values, respect,  and goodness.” So far, Rabbi Frank explains that his first few days have been really amazing. He understands that his arrival being in the middle of the school year is not easy, however, everyone has been “warm and helpful” regardless.    

Rabbi Frank expressed that his goal is to learn “what’s really the soul of the school and to make it the best Ramaz that it can be.” He stated adamantly that he does not want to turn Ramaz into something different, but really learn how to make Ramaz reach its full potential and excel as a school. Rabbi Frank wants to take the Ramaz Mission Statement that is hanging on every office and try to make it come alive as much as possible, “so if we together, feel that certain changes are needed in order for the mission to be manifested stronger than those are the changes I would make.” Rabbi Frank’s biggest challenge as the incoming principal is the fact that there is so much unknown. It is difficult being new anywhere, especially being a new leader in a new school, as Rabbi Frank understandably expressed “I want to know everybody and know everything and I want to know it yesterday.”

Already, Rabbi Frank has taken the initiative to really get to know the Ramaz High School community from every angle. He met with each grade to tell them about himself, his family, and the credo in which he believes. Rabbi Frank also hosted a town hall for each grade, where the students were able to address their concerns and questions they have in the school directly to him. This truly demonstrates his commitment to assisting the student body and, most importantly, offering a listening ear, as he states that he wants “everybody to be heard.” He goes on to say that he wants “everyone to know that I will always, always listen, and I will always be there for you.” Additionally, Rabbi Frank stays after school to visit different extracurricular activities to build a strong connection with the students and get to know their interests. Rabbi Frank states that “I’m at the basketball games or dance troupe and Shrek, there’s so much going on. It’s a lot of fun. I’m excited to be part of it.” In the short time he has been here, Rabbi Frank has already attended many basketball games, home and away to support Ramaz, including the 36th annual Sam Gyenes z”l memorial basketball tournament held the weekend of December 15-17. 

Rabbi Frank expressed when he met with each grade and when I met with him one-on-one for this article that he is committed to creating meaningful connections to each and every student. He firmly believes that this connection starts with learning everyone’s name, as it marks one’s identity. On the first day Rabbi Frank officially joined us at Ramaz he declared that he had the extensive goal to learn each and every person’s name by purim 2024. Rabbi Frank explicitly expressed that he will always be there for the students during their four years at Ramaz High School and even after they graduate. To highlight this philosophy, Rabbi Frank notes that “Once having me as your principal, you’re sort of stuck with me…and at the same time, I can guarantee we won’t always agree, but that I will always be someone who has your back all the time, not just while you’re here for four years.”